What is it?
Career Mapping provides employees with potential paths for advancement within an organization. This process is tailored to the organization and provides career ladders within job families as well as links to additional moves outside the job families. The career map can be augmented with a resource guide that provides an employee with tips and suggestions for development in order to prepare for advancement.
How does it work?
Career Mapping uses job families to identify natural advancement across related jobs as well as potential moves into other areas in the organization. A visual map is created for target positions which depicts all job family moves as well as potential first and second order moves outside of that job family.
Does my organization need Career Mapping?
Companies use Career Mapping in the following situations:
- Providing validated paths for career advancement
- Assisting employees with career development within the organization
- Preparing employees for new roles, increased responsibility
- Accelerating the development of high potentials
What are the benefits to my company?
- Improves retention
- Improves recruitment
- Increases employee engagement
- Assists in Succession Planning
What are the steps for Career Mapping?
- HRCatalyst meets with the project sponsor and key stakeholders to review the project objectives and identify the mapping criteria.
- HRCatalyst conducts interviews and focus groups with employees and other job content experts to identify the linkages between jobs within and across job families.
- HRCatalyst creates career ladders within job families and links positions across job families.
- HRCatalyst meets with job content experts and key stakeholders to validate the maps.
- If desired, HRCatalyst creates a development resource guide which provides development tips and additional resources to help employees prepare for their next career moves.