What is Competency Modeling?
A competency model contains the core competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities, and other requirements) necessary for success in a job or group of jobs. A well-constructed model includes behavioral definitions for each competency and is validated by employees in and around those jobs. An effective model also reflects the business and its culture and advances an organization’s strategic imperatives.
How does it work?
Through qualitative and quantitative data analysis, HRCatalyst creates a model that captures the requirements necessary for high performance. Input is gathered from leaders, managers, and incumbents to accurately define what it takes to be successful in a job, unit, or organization. The model is validated with an approach that works for the organization while still meeting the principles and standards of practice accepted in the field of industrial/organizational psychology. Once defined, this competency model can serve as a foundation for all HR platforms (recruiting, selection, training and development, performance management, succession planning). The model will clearly define what it takes to achieve desired results and will do so in a way that clearly aligns performance with the overall organizational strategy.
Does my organization need Competency Modeling?
Many companies use competency modeling in the following situations:
- Closing the gap between current and desired/future performance
- Upgrading any HR element or process (selection, development, performance
management, career mapping, talent planning)
- Identifying the competencies associated with success on the job
- Defining the performance requirements of newly developed positions
What are the benefits of Competency Modeling?
- Improves the likelihood of making the right selection decisions
- Provides a common metric for evaluating employee performance
- Provides a framework for training and development
- Integrates all HR elements and programs
- Keeps associates focused on getting the right results the right way
- Facilitates career transitions
- Enables better calibration during talent management and succession planning
What are the steps for Competency Modeling?
Although steps depend on specific needs, the general process includes:
- HRCatalyst works with the organization to conduct in-depth analyses to define the criteria for superior performance in the role, unit, or organization.
- HRCatalyst drafts the initial competency profile complete with behavioral definitions and, if requested, level-specific descriptors.
- HRCatalyst validates the model within the unit/organization.
- The competency model is finalized.
- Upon request, HRCatalyst will also create a development tool to help individuals develop around the competencies most relevant to them.